Guest blog by Sarah Thomas Pilcher
A religious and cultural holiday rich with centuries of traditions, Saint Patrick’s Day celebrates the life and legacy of St. Patrick – the Patron Saint of Ireland – on the anniversary of his death in the fifth century.
Today millions around the world join in the celebration with parades, music and food that pay homage to Irish culture.
There are a few reasons why green is significant to the March 17 festivities. Legend states that St. Patrick explained the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) using the three leaves of the shamrock. There’s also a cultural tale that warns of leprechauns who would pinch anyone not wearing green!
In celebration of these Irish traditions and legends, here’s a recipe that will add a little green to your holiday for you and a friend to enjoy!
2 cups kale, packed, fresh or frozen (however you can get it)
1 cup ripe frozen mango cubes
1 cup ripe frozen peaches
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 – 2 lemons or limes
1 cup water
1 cup crushed ice
1 tsp of maple syrup
1 tsp of spirulina
- You can freeze the mangos and peaches overnight or give them an hour to freeze before making the smoothie
- Add crushed ice first, then add fruit + veggies
- Add maple syrup and spirulina after all the other ingredients are in your smoothie maker
- Once well blended, taste and adjust as needed to desired taste
- Enjoy, and happy St. Patrick’s Day!
This is a vegan and gluten-free recipe